Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review

TITLE: Sirensong
SERIES: Faeriewalker #3
BY: Jenna Black
PUBLICATION DATE: July 5th 2011
Paperback, 312 pages

When Dana is invited to Faerie to be officially presented at the Seelie Court, it's no easy decision. After all, everyone knows Titania, the Seelie Queen, wants her dead. But Titania claims not to be the one behind the death threats; and her son, Prince Henry, makes the decision a whole lot easier when he suggests Dana might be arrested for (supposedly) conspiring with her aunt Grace to usurp the Seelie throne. So she and her father better do as they're told...

The journey through Faerie is long - and treacherous. Dana thought it would be a good idea to have friends along, but her sort-of-boyfriend, Ethan, and her bodyguard's son, Keane, just can't seem to get along, and Kimber's crush on Keane isn't making things any easier. When a violent attack separates Dana from their caravan, the sexy Erlking saves her just in the nick of time... and makes it clear that he hasn't given up on making her his own.

Arriving at Titania's beautiful palace should be a relief. But Dana is soon implicated in an assassination attempt against Titania's granddaughter, and is suddenly a fugitive, forced to leave her father behind as she and her friends flee for their lives. Will she be able to prove her innocence before the forces of the Seelie Court - or, worse, the Erlking - catch up with her? And will she save her father before he pays the ultimate price in her stead?

________________________________________________

*Spoilers are present in the review.*

OK - I decided to rewrite my review because I wasn't happy with the original one. I wrote it too fast; and didn't give myself enough time to let the book sink in. So, while I'm still keeping the same rating, here goes my Review Redux...

When I finished Sirensong I didn't know that it was the last book of the series because I didn't know that it was a trilogy. However, when I started to read the epilogue and Dana started talking like the events were in the past and this is what she'd learned from it all, I jumped online and confirmed my worst fears; it was the end.

Now, I struggled with Glimmerglass, book one in the series, and was even hesitant to pick up Shadowspell; but thankfully I did because the second book is what carried this series. Sirensong started out very slow. I even actually put the book down for awhile, and fought with myself to pick it up and finish it once and for all. I would say about 90% of the book revolves around Dana's journey into Faerie from Avalon; and then Dana escaping Faerie and trying to get back to Avalon. I think what I hate most in books that happened with this one - is predictability. I like to be surprised - to read a chapter and be like, "Holy! I was not expecting that!" but - sigh - that didn't happen in this book.

The book begins with an invite to Faerie by the Seelie Prince Henry. We see Dana whining about having to wear a dress - which Kimber is ecstatic over - and then worrying about leaving her alcoholic mother alone, because she knows as soon as she goes to Faerie her mother will fall off the wagon - which, surprise surprise, is exactly what happens. Plus we continue to see Dana complaining about the caste system in Faerie, because Finn, being a Knight, is thought of as the lowest of the low in the Fae classes. Dana's annoyingly large amount of complaints grates on my nerves. Anyway, so they journey into Faerie (finally!) and it was just so unremarkable, and boring. We only got to see two different Fae creatures as well; Bogles and the Green Lady - who I personally loved. So along the way - when the Bogles attack - the Erlking comes to Dana's rescue (via the mark he emblazoned on her shoulder; as well as Ethan's mark). Dana also uses her "Immortal turned Mortal" spell that she can call up by singing. Throughout the series Dana kept her ability to sense and use magic a secret. So after killing the Bogles, the caravan stumbles upon the the Green Lady - who demands payment in order to pass. Well, her "payment" is blood - and the best blood? A virgin's, of course. Immediately Prince Henry offers up his servant, Elizabeth, but at the terrified look on her face, Dana willingly offers herself instead. Satisfied, the Green Lady offers safe passage.

The caravan finally makes it to the Sunne Palace; which is like a fortress - not the splendid, magical, architectural wonder I was expecting - and Dana and the rest are shown to their rooms where they begin to prepare for dinner with Queen Titania's granddaughter, Princess Elaine. When the crew arrives in the dining hall, Dana notices Elizabeth serving them, and entertains that there may be meaning behind the sad "I'm sorry" look that Elizabeth gives her. Just as everyone is taking their seats, a bomb goes off; injuring the Princess. Immediately fingers are pointed at Dana, as she is the only existing Faeriewalker in the world - which means only she can bring technology into Faerie (and magic into the mortal world); therefore she had to have done it. So, Dana, Kimber, Ethan, and Keane take off for Avalon - hoping to make it home and get Kimber and Ethan's father to help get Dana's father, and Finn out of Faerie.

Along the journey to Avalon, all of Dana's secrets come out - her ability to sense and use magic, her deal with the Erlking, and even the Erlking's secret brooch he gave her. I feel like these were all just dumb stupid secrets that she kept, possibly threatening her friendship with Kimber, and I'm glad Kimber was pissed off at Dana - even though it didn't last. We also saw a lot of groping, making out, and overall touchy-feely scenes between Dana and Ethan, as well as Keane and Kimber.

Eventually, their cover is blown and Kimber, Keane, and Ethan are captured and taken back to Sunne Palace, while Dana, who was invisible, was supposed to continue on to Avalon - but loyal to the core when it comes to her friends and family - she instead heads back into Faerie and on her way to save everyone held prisoner by Queen Titania.

Back in the Palace, Dana puts her plan in action - to burst into the Queen's private chambers and prove her theory - that she clearly is not the only Faeriewalker in the mortal and Faerie realms. But when Dana makes it past the trolls and into the Queen's chambers, she is met with a scene she never imagined possible - the Erlking and Queen Titania in bed. Together. Dana then convinces the Queen to hear her out, and Elizabeth is brought to the Queen's chambers. As expected, Dana proves her innocence, and makes a pact with the Queen - as well as the Erlking - which leaves her now free to do the dirty with Ethan...when she's ready, of course. The book wraps up happily ever after, as the group makes their way back to Avalon - where Dana picks her drunk mother up yet again, this time with a broken hip - and still mulls over whether or not the Unseelie Queen Mab wants her dead or not - just one of the many unwrapped up story lines in the series.

I love fairies - I mean, love, adore, cannot live without them. When I first saw this series I was excited (Even though the idea of Avalon wasn't something that I was too crazy about) to have a new series on the YA Scene. If you're a fairy lover like I am, don't bother with these books - really - you're better off looking into The Chronicles of Faerie by O.R. Melling, or the Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa. I can't even see myself ever recommending this series - not with how poorly written and planned out and hurried it all was. Over the course of the series I was never able to connect or even care about any of the characters either. There's leaving cliffhangers, and leaving room for maybe a spin-off series but I just can't see it happening; and with all of the questions left unanswered when I closed the book - this one just has to be at the bottom of my list and deserves the rating I've given.

My Final Thoughts - Don't waste your time unless you like being disappointed.

Rating:


Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...