Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review - Unleashed: A Wolf Springs Chronicles Novel

Unleashed
Series: Wolf Springs Chronicles #1
By: Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie
hardcover, 382 pages

Published: November 22, 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers






Katelyn McBride's life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It's a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forces alliances, and love that blooms in the darkest of night - Welcome to Wolf Springs.


MY REVIEW RATING: 0 Cupcakes = DID NOT FINISH

I've had trouble with Holder and Viguie as authors in the past with what I like to call the disaster that is the Wicked series. Since that series was written awhile ago, I thought maybe - just maybe - things had changed. That, coupled with my recent craving for a good werewolf story gave me false hopes for this one.

Typically if I am reading a book and it's just not really interesting me, I will give it 100 pages and at that time I'll make the decision - keep reading, or give up? I decided with this one to keep reading and made it just shy of 200 pages before closing the cover for good.

What I really dislike is when you are as far into a book as I had gotten with this one, and you're still no further into the plot than you were on page 1. For the 200 pages that I read, all the information I got was that there is something lurking in the woods so stay out. There are weird businessmen in the woods trying to bring out there "inner wolf" by beating on drums. Oooh, that sounds soooo scary! Not. So my issue with the story is that it goes nowhere.

The characters are god awful as well. I couldn't stand them, in fact. Katelyn is just annoying, Cordelia is so freaking weird and not in a good way - and her cousins Justin and Jesse, and her sisters? How weird can you be if you circle someone and start yelling, "Stranger!" Oh, this is after Katelyn practically threw herself at Justin even though she didn't know why she wanted him so bad since she didn't even know him. Trick is another oddball character who I don't even know what to make of. 

The writing is horrid. It's impossible to visualize anything, and there is the worst case of foreshadowing I think I've ever experienced in my entire existence. Yes, that bad. There are constant contradictions in descriptions of the characters and they are so one-dimensional and just bad. I don't even know what else to say, LOL, other than it was just bad. In my opinion these authors have no right writing anything. 

Please check this book out on Goodreads for more reviews on how freaking deplorable this books is.

Last Thoughts: Imagine the absolutely worst, most awful B-rated horror flick you can think of. That's this book. Predictable and just poorly executed.

If you read it let me know, did you love or hate?


2 comments:

  1. I haven't read it yet, but I have heard really good things about Ellen Schreiber's new werewolf series (Once in a Full Moon). Maybe you will have better luck with that one?

    Shanan
    http://thebookaddictnet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, I will request it from the library!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...