Thursday, April 12, 2012

Think Out Loud {2}

What's in a Name?

I've been thinking a lot about character names recently, and how the YA market is bombarded with such interesting, unique, or retro-traditional names. Gone are the days of Amandas, Lauras, Jessicas (sorry if I offended anyone - I included my name too. I was, at one point, 1 of 3 Laura B's in my grade in school.). Today we get to know Arias, Clarys, Vasilisas, and Havens. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. In fact, I think I feel the complete opposite! I love the uniqueness and individuality that these names give the characters.

Here are just a few of the names in today's hottest YA books:

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington - Violet Eden
The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins - Katniss Everdeen
The Demon Trapper's Daughter Series - Riley Blackthorne
The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel - Ever Bloom
Under the Never Sky - Aria
The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare - Clary Fray
Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead - Vasilisa "Lissa" Dragomir
Illuminate Series by Aimee Agresti - Haven Terra
Shade Series by Jeri Smith-Ready - Aura

And the boys:

The Hollow Series by Jessica Verday - Caspian
Divergent Series by Veronica Roth - Four
Nevermore Series by Kelly Creagh - Varen Nethers
Hush, Hush Series by Becca Fitzpatrick - Patch
Halo Series by Alexandra Adornetto - Xavier Woods

What do you think? Do you prefer unique names to common ones? Which are your faves (either on this list, or ones I've forgotten?) I would love to know :))




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...