Monday, June 4, 2012

Review {38} Until I Die by Amy Plum

Until I Die
Revenants #2
By: Amy Plum
Other Books in Series: Die For Me
Published: May 8th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers
Obtained: Library
Categories: Young Adult, Immortals, Zombies, Paranormal Romance
Rating: Did Not Finish



Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there's one question they can't ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can't resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he'll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake - and that's Vincent's immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with  more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.

So unfortunately I did not finish the second installment in the Revenants series. This really bothers me because 1 - I hate not finishing books, and 2 - I enjoyed Die for Me a lot, so I was excited to jump back into Kate's life in Paris. The main reason why I ended up bailing on this book over halfway through it, is because it was just unfolding too slowly for me. There was very little action since the numa are currently in hiding, and no attacks had been made against the Revenants since the events of the first book. Until I Die follows Kate as she searches for answers to questions she has about the history of the revenants and numa, and whether there will ever be a way for Kate and Vincent to be together, and live in a way that Vincent isn't causing himself pain by not fulfilling the urge to die, and that they can age and live together without denying one or the other in any way.

I don't really have any problems with Plum's writing style. I find it acceptable, easy to read, flowing, and pleasant. I think my main issue with the book was the pace. There weren't many problems with settings, or events that were occurring either; though I am pretty sure I have figured out how the book ends without having actually finished it. I was finding Vincent and Kate's relationship kind of annoying too; as was Georgia, Kate's party-girl sister. I also could just be in the mood for something more fast-paced and action-packed, and it's just the wrong time for me to have picked up this book; which happens to me from time to time.

I know that I bring this up often in reviews of series, but I again fall back on my formula for a trilogy; where book 1 is the setting up of the series, book 2 is the action, and book 3 is the conclusion. In my opinion, it seems like book 1 & 2 could've almost been combined to be one longer introduction to the series, since Until I Die deals with so much background and info. I have a feeling that I will end up picking this book up again in the future to finish, or buy it when it's cheap before the final book comes out. Overall, I think the premise is unique, and interesting and a fresh take on a growing "zombie" genre in Young Adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...